Saturday, January 30, 2010

Finally in Gevève- with a view of the Alps from my window

So I safely made it to Geneva on Wed. morning at 7:30 AM Geneva time. It was an okay flight- some turbulence- but half empty so I was able to stretch out. My sleeping plan semi-worked but not so much. So I got in way early and was all by myself for like 20 min. There was another girl who was on my flight that I thought may of been with the SIT program..so I went to go ask and got shot down...sooo that was fail #1 of Geneva. So finally more people got there, we find a corner of the airport to hang out in until 12:30 when we were being picked up from the airport!

It was an interesting 4 hours- trying to meet everyone/stay awake but it was fun! Once we got picked up we went to a hostel in the city and dove straight into orientation. We were tired and miserable, but we met Earl...so life quickly became better. Earl, our academic director, is QUITE the character (al- that use of the word character is dedicated to you). He is older, in fact its his last year doing this, bald, does NOT wear jackets in the freezing cold weather, but only scarfs and a fleece vest. Not even a hat. While I am bundled up in a puffy jacket, huge scarf, glittens, and a hat with earflaps. Anyways- he doesnt walk, he glides and he apparently ice skates. He flips his hands around a lot and has can pivot very well- tyra banks would be so proud. Needless to say, we all love earl and he takes up over 50% of the groups conversations.

Anywho. Geneva is beautiful. we toured the old town yesterday and it was great. Very old and european-esque. I was finally able to see the Alps because visibility was a little better. But the lake is beautiful.

Today we moved to our homestays. We had this reception were literally the Americans sat and waited for the families to arrive...it felt like judgement day or something. Anyways mine were like 5th to last to come, but they are GREAT. I live with two parents and two girls (15 and 8). They are so nice and so welcoming- i even have my own bedroom and bathroom. I live two train stops away from Geneva- about a 20 minish train ride but most of our classes are in Nyon which is only one train stop away. The best part is- i can see the Alps from my window. I am seriously living in a postcard it is amazing.

Anyways- now that i have a constant internet connection (wireless WOO!) i will be able to update/keep in contact with everyone.

a bientot!

2 comments:

  1. Hey hun! Im so glad that everything is wonderous over there and that you are having a good time. Are you living alone or with roommmates? Describe the roommates if you will because your description of earl simply made me happy. Take lots of pics (especially of your view), cuz im looking forward to stalking ur facebook endlessly. Have a great time lovie!
    <3 Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sorry for just reading this post, because i know i'm behind in your updates. but i'm sitting in my lab right now...my iphone playing music as i watch to make sure the pressure in the tank is staying constant : /. i've been in the lab for over five hours (minus a roughly 2 hour lunch break to bruegger's/bourbon coffee), so it's been a rough day. and i'll probably be here for another hour. i'm sorry emi! i want to read your next post but it's a little long haha so i'll save it for later tonight. definitely this week though, most likely wednedsay, we can chat. i miss you a ton! and am so glad to be hearing some updates. love!

    ReplyDelete