Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Three C's: Cheese, Chocolate, and Carbs

So I've learned I will be eating three main things, Cheese, Chocolate, and Carbs. Take today's meals for instance, Breakfast: Chocolate Croissant with Hot Chocolate. Lunch: Baked Macaroni and Cheese (made with gruyere...SOO good) Snack: another chocolate croissant this time fresh from a patisserie and un cafe. Dinner: a savory crepe with some form of cheese in it and two sweet crepes- one with sugar and one with nutella. Other meals have included, pizza- because apparently the swiss love to own pizzerias, fondue (cheese with bread), sandwiches with cheese and the most delicious hot chocolates...no swiss miss here. However, I have yet to have a legit piece of chocolate from a swiss chocolatier....so this is my mission for the week!

But enough about food...I'm too full to even think of eating.

So Chudsy..to answer your questions: I don't have any roommates- in fact i have my own bedroom and bathroom so that is really nice. As for my family here are some descriptions...

The dad, Cedric, is a cool guy. He helped me figure out my internet and such and we've chatted. He keeps offering me wine at dinner and I feel weird because only he is drinking it..but ill prob accept in the next couple of days. He also likes to put spicy toppings on his food (so dad, if you are reading this, you two are apparently alike...clearly i can't get rid of people who are like you).

The mom, Irma, is so nice. She is a great cook, does laundry basically every day (including mine), and great to talk to. She is really sweet and understanding and has already made me feel at home.

The two daughters, Brianna and Louana are really cute and nice. Louana, the 7 year old, wrote me a note yesterday saying she liked me and my laugh. It was really cute.

I pretty much am free to do whatever I want. I have a key to the apartment and can go out whenever til whenever. I just have to call if I won't be home for dinner! There is a Migros (grocery and convenience store- so that is super helpful). I am also just a 7 min walk to the train station..so that is helpful. But so far, it has been great living here and am loving it!

So last night was my first night in Gland, the town i'm living in which is 2 train stops away from Geneva (about 20 min away), and it was quite the experience. When my host mom told me that there wasn't much to do in this town..she wasn't lying. There are two places: Fingers (yes...fingers), a wine bar, and Finnegans an Irish Pub. So two other girls from the program, one of their host brothers, and I went to Finnegans. We passed by Fingers but 1. we didn't think we were dressed well enough and 2. it was called fingers..so we braved the cold a little longer to get to the pub. Anyways, Finnegans was quite the experience- they played Green Day, Blink 182, and this song called Africa (which sounds nothing like Green Day or Blink 182 if you have never heard that song). Anyways, aside from the random music selections it was filled with french speaking people that ranged from 16 to i don't even know where. Not to mention a beer was 8.50 CHF...this city is going to kill my bank account (but I'll soon be living off 2.90 CHF wine...i think that'll work out better). But within this crazy atmosphere, it was pretty fun. The two other girls from the program and me tried to speak to the french brother...it kinda failed...but we can work on that. So yes...pretty chill of a night but it was fun.

Today, I slept in..finally. I had asked my host mom when I should wake up and she told me to sleep in...so I did. Aside from all my meals today, I went into Nyon with the other two girls living in my town and met someone else from the program. We walked to the lake and there was a market going on that happens on the last sunday of every month. At this market, you could probably find any random thing you would ever want. There were salad choppers (Chop't style), snow boots, beads, paintings, random mannequin legs...so yea. The rest of the city was pretty much shut down because it's Sunday..so no one really does much. But we just walked around and went to a patisserie and chatted.

So now I am sitting in my bed writing this post, and procrastinating doing readings...so i guess somethings never change.... 3 hour french classes start tomorrow...this should be an interesting experience in itself.

À tout à l'heure!

5 comments:

  1. CHEESE CHOCOLATE AND CARBS!!!!! I WANT!! Emi if you do not bring me home recipes I will never cook for you again (although if you bring me home a boy i will do anything for you for the rest of your life!)!

    I LOVE YOU EMI!

    ReplyDelete
  2. geneva is expensive as hell...yeah, exchange rate is 1:1...but the prices are DOUBLE...BAHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so jealous of your crepe consumption! and i'm loving the blog - i laughed out loud several times haha...a fake mannequin leg?! i hope you bought one! <333

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds wonderful! i love your food choices - i think i would die there, too, because that all sounds amazing. hope your first few days of classes went well!!! loveeee. class was cancelled today (due to minor snow) so perhaps we can chat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm jealous you live close to a wine bar!! Enjoy the Alps!

    ReplyDelete